I have been wanting to make an Art Journal for a long time but never had the courage to start one. Although I have been creating ATC's for a couple of years and swapping them an art journal seemed a big step up in scale and quite daunting. This weekend I took the plunge and after doing the rounds with You Tube videos, blog posts and Facebook groups I created a front and back cover to fit my A5 journal.
I started with a thick watercolour paper, gesso and scrunched tissue paper, I struggled with the order of the layers and so although there are some strips of music paper in there you can't see them as I unfortunately covered them over when painting. :/ I used several stencils, texture paste and stamps, alcohol inks and watercolour paints to create my background.
I had a set of napkins with these gorgeous large flowers on them so used that to make my focal point. The mistake came when I tried to add the bumble bee to the flower on the front cover which caused the layers of tissue paper to scrunch up and try as I might I could not flatten them again. So off they came and I decided to paint over the flower petals but actually I really like the texture that gave and am pleased how it turned out for my first attempt.
I'm hoping to be able to regularly fill the pages of my journal with more art work and I'm looking forward to challenging myself.
Challenges I'd like to enter:
Try It On Tuesday - Uplifting or Positive Quote
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Layer It Up
Creative Moments - #206 ATG
More Mixed Media Challenge - ATG optional Colour Blue
We Love 2 Create - #1 ATG
Thank you for stopping by and for all your lovely comments on my previous posts.